Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Potato Soup Recipe




When I was pregnant with my daughter I came across this soup....ehhhhheeemmmmm...I mean *fabulous* soup from Outback Steakhouse. It was so fabulous that during my last trimester of pregnancy our trips to Outback became a weekly date night :) I always looked forward to Wednesdays, which was my day off from my then 9-5 day job, to go to the restaurant and indulge. Indulge until I was so uncomfortable that is was quite ridiculous! Ah, the things pregnancy cravings can do to you. Needless to say, I burnt myself out and we hardly ever go there now. My daughter though loves the place. Mostly due to the potato soup, honey wheat bread, *GIANT* sweet potatoes, and steamed squash. I feel bad for not taking her as much as she would probably like that I searched and searched until I found a very close recipe for the soup. Tonight here was soup night and yep, we had Outback's Potato Soup :) I thought I would share the recipe for any of you who know what I am talking about or who just really love some potato soup.


Outback Steakhouse™ Potato Soup Recipe


Ingredients


■Potatoes (6-8 depending on the size)


■1 Onion, diced


■4 14oz cans of chicken broth


■2 cups water


■Celery salt to taste


■Pepper to taste


■1 dash of basil


■1 dash of sugar


■2 sticks of butter


■3/4 cup of flour


■1 1/2 cups heavy cream


Garnish


■4-6 pieces of cooked bacon, chopped


■Chopped chives


■2 cups shredded Monterrey Jack / Cheddar cheese blend.


Directions


1.Boil the potatoes, peel and set aside.


2.In a large soup pot, melt the butter over a low to medium heat, being careful not to burn it.


3.Add the onion and cook until softened.


4.Add the flour and stir while it cooks for about 3 minutes.


5.Slowly add the chicken broth, water, salt, pepper, basil and sugar.


6.Bring to a boil, stirring often with a wire whisk.


7.Gradually add the heavy cream until you’ve reached the proper consistency.


8.Chop the potatoes into bite sized cubes and add to the soup.


9.Simmer for approximately 5 minutes to bring the potatoes to temperature.


10.Ladle the soup into individual bowls and garnish with chopped bacon, chives and the cheese blend.


11.Enjoy!




Oh, and the bowl above....is now empty ;)

5 comments:

  1. Thank goodness it's all fat free, right? RIGHT? ;)

    Yum, girl!!

    xoxoxoxo,
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only all these yummy foods were fat free, I would have a better relationship with my scales ;) If only...

    (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Their soup really is delicious...thanks for sharing the recipe...love a good potato soup. My scales and I will NEVER get along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh girl. It WILL be made in this here kitchen.

    Thanks for sharing. xoxoxoxo
    j

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I've decided since I don't have a boyfriend that food will be my boyfriend....Eeeekkkkk..... Now that warmer weather is here I'm thinking that was a bad decision ;) I'm hoping lots of yoga and yardwork will help to make up the few extra pounds!

    ReplyDelete